Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Most Fantastic

Tonight dinner was almost done when Chas asked if he could paint. It really wasn't a convenient moment but I felt I just couldn't say no. I did warn him though that he would be on his own because I was busy. He found his paint shirt and put it on. A few moments later I looked over to see that he had paper, brush and all of the lids off the paint jars. He started working away. "I really love this brown," he said. "I think its the most beautiful color." I noticed that he was indeed using quite a bit of brown.

A little later Eli came in and said that he too would like to paint. This I knew was really bad timing but I said yes. By then Aaron was home and helped him with his paint shirt. Chas offered to help Eli set up and they both began to work earnestly. I walked over to see how things were going and as I watched Chas paused mid stroke and gazing lovingly at his creation said: "I am the most fantastic artist. I can't believe how good I am!"

Chas is the most fantastic artist. His paintings hang from several walls in our home and I feel joy whenever I look at them. How does he know he's fantastic? It has never occurred to him that he wasn't. Doubt comes with age and living in a world that seeks to diminish self worth. We forget that we are our Father's most treasured creations and compare ourselves to the shadows we see around us. My hope is that each of my boys will maintain their exquisitely fantastic sense of self and always find beauty and inspiration in the browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment