Monday, March 7, 2011

Humilidation

AJ is eight now and quite the reader. His favorite books are the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series by Jeff Kinney. At night after the other boys have gone to bed he reads aloud to me from them. After hearing book #5 for the umpteenth time I purchased the entire series for him. He gleefully began at the beginning so that I wouldn't miss out on a thing. His vocabulary is starting to get ahead of him, usually with humorous results. Just last night as he sat reading to me he looked up to find me making faces at him.

"Are you trying to humilidate me?"

I couldn't help but laugh as I asked him what he meant.

"Humilidate! You are laughing at me!"

I could think of a few other definitions for the word he had created, most of them surrounding humiliation and dating but considering that as of now he hopes to live with us forever and never ever kiss a girl I don't think he would appreciate my suggestions.

I apologized for hurting his feelings. How do I explain that I LOVE him, his earnestness, his theatrics, his desire to be good all so much! I LOVE him reading to me and sharing something that he loves with me. This is why I tease him. I guess it is humilidation. After all, isn't that what kids on the playground do when they like someone? Tease them?

No comments:

Post a Comment